Re: dump problems

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:19:35 +0200
Markus Hitter wrote:

> Am 10.09.2007 um 10:14 schrieb Danny Braniss:
>
> > so here are some questions:
> > 	- is the readers/writer split realy needed now? my guess it was
> >           put in in the old days to get tapes streaming - which is
> > btw,
> >           what's not working.
>
> Before you put a lot of efforts into this: Why don't you just let
> dump/restore die and put functionality, which is needed and unique to
> dump, into tar?

Bundling the kitchen sink has worried some since first cries of
"Emacs = Bloat": Some believe.  Some don't. Religious.

> Tar is far more popular, today's world is
> multiplatform, today's world is multi-filesystem and if you rewrite
> dump, you force admins to rewrite their scripts anyways.
>
> I've always considered it as sub-optimal to have several tools for
> one task.

Depend if others agree one definition of task.

I wouldnt merge dump & restor either.
Principle of least suprise,
Maintain portability of people & tools between the many flavours of Unix.

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch=mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.