Compiling with gcc42 / reverting to CC

From: Brooks Talley <brooks_at_illuminati.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:18:39 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, everyone.  A bit of a newb question here.

I have a 7.0-current box that's been updated to the latest HEAD, and I need to rebuild the kernel.  However, someone has helpfully configured the box to use GCC42 for make, and that's failing because 1) kern.mk has a CWARNFLAGS definition that GCC42 hates (-fformat-extensions), and 2) __FreeBSD_cc_version is not defined.

Can someone(s) please tell me how to either get 7.0-current compiled on GCC42, or get make buildkernel to use good old CC?

Thanks
-Brooks