7 release timetable

From: Aristedes Maniatis <ari_at_ish.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:11:53 +1000
I don't want this to sound like a "is it ready yet?" email, but as we
are rolling out some new servers in the next months I'd like to get
some idea of whether it is time for us to start testing hardware and
configurations against current, ready for deployment in the not
distant future. In particular I am very interested in the excellent
improvements for SMP and mysql performance.

I understand that response 'version 7 will be released when it is
ready', but looking at recent cvs commit messages I can't quite see
the pattern of what new features are still going in and what is now
bug fixes for release. I have some questions:

* The bug reports at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi
don't seem to correlate with activity on current. Is there a separate
bug tracker so that users like myself can see what known bugs remain
prior to release? Other open source projects I am affiliated with
(for example those at Apache) use bug tracking databases in this way.

* Is there a set release schedule and known bugs notes for snapshots?
I'd like to try a snapshot but I don't know whether to wait a day/
week/month for the next one. Or are they released just when someone
thinks the source is in a good overall state?

Thank you
Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001