Compiler Problems?

From: Thomas D. Dean <tomdean_at_speakeasy.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:59:41 -0700 (PDT)
I believe we may have a compiler problem with gcc42, and, possiblly
4.1.  I point out gcc42 because of the below problem which is a
seemingly disconnect with an application and xorg.  I have some
problems with -current that may also be a disconnect between an
application and xorg.

I had a problem with scilab under both -stable and -current.

I installed the port with the default make files.  I saw no errors
during build/install.  Scilab failed at run time.  ports/116378 and
earlier kern/116166 which was changed to ports.

Math/scilab uses math/lapack and math/blas and builds everything with
gcc42 and gfortran42.  I distrust things which do not use the default
system build tools.

All three ports were up-to-date as of yesterday.

Running -stable,

#  uname -a
FreeBSD dv6000.tddhome 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #2: \
   Sat Sep 15 11:31:41 PDT 2007 \
   root_at_dv6000.tddhome:/scratch/obj/usr/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386

I deinstalled scilab, blas, and, lapack.  I rebuilt them with the
default system compilers, g77 and cc.

The problem went away.

Scilab uses two gfortran specific calls in
routines/os_specific/getarg.c.  Fixing these and changing the
makefiles fixed the problem.

Scilab.  Changed Makefile to use g77, cc, c++
  USE_FORTRAN=	g77
  CC=cc
  CXX=c++
  F77=f77

build lapack with g77
   USE_FORTRAN=g77

build blas with g77
   USE_FORTRAN=g77

Removed gfortran from
/scratch/obj/ports/usr/ports/math/scilab/work/scilab-4.1.1/routines/os_specific/getarg.c
By using the default call in the #if..else statement.

tomdean