Re: SCHED_ULE on desktop system

From: David E. Thiel <lx_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:39:48 -0700
On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 03:50:19PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I have been seeing this for quite some time and, while the scheduler may
> make a bit of difference, I suspect pager issues. As long as I have
> available memory, interactivity is fine. If I run a big build and I see
> swap file use, things slow to a crawl. I see very slow re-draws of the
> screen and general lack of responsiveness.
>
> I run gkrellm and can tell at a glance when swap usage starts to
> increase. The linkage is clear and not terribly surprising. It may be
> that you need to add a bit more RAM.

While I wouldn't mind adding more RAM, this happens with about 60%
memory utilization, and top verifies no swap is being used. I'll believe
that it may not be all the scheduler's fault (since I see it to some
degree regardless of scheduler), but in my case, it's not paging.

I did actually just switch to 4BSD without PREEMPTION, and the audio
skipping and jerkiness that I was getting before is no longer happening.
Maybe something in PREEMPTION is causing problems with both schedulers?

Thanks,
David