Re: Compiling with another compiler than gcc.

From: Hartmut Brandt <hartmut.brandt_at_dlr.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:38:35 +0200
Anders Magnusson wrote:
> It is not yet bug-free, but it can compile the i386 userspace.  The big
> benefit of it
> (apart from that it's BSD licensed, for license geeks :-) is that it is
> fast, 5-10 times
> faster than gcc, while still producing reasonable code.  The only

When reading the name pcc my first thought was: isn't that the compiler
that was distributed on later Unix V7 tapes? And yes, the web-page says
it is based on that one. I'm quite sure that the original code had no
BSD copyright, so I wonder how it obtained one? For the rewritten code
there is no question, but what for the remaining original code? Has it
been relicensed by the original author?

It's interesting that the compiler is so much faster than gcc. I
remember that it was around 3-5 times slower than the dmr compiler under
V7. This tells a lot about gcc's speed :-(

harti