Re: Compiling with another compiler than gcc.

From: Hartmut Brandt <hartmut.brandt_at_dlr.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:30:06 +0200
Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 08:38:35PM +0200, Hartmut Brandt wrote..
>> Anders Magnusson wrote:
>>> It is not yet bug-free, but it can compile the i386 userspace.  The big
>>> benefit of it
>>> (apart from that it's BSD licensed, for license geeks :-) is that it is
>>> fast, 5-10 times
>>> faster than gcc, while still producing reasonable code.  The only
>> When reading the name pcc my first thought was: isn't that the compiler
>> that was distributed on later Unix V7 tapes? And yes, the web-page says
>> it is based on that one. I'm quite sure that the original code had no
>> BSD copyright, so I wonder how it obtained one? For the rewritten code
>> there is no question, but what for the remaining original code? Has it
>> been relicensed by the original author?
>>
>> It's interesting that the compiler is so much faster than gcc. I
>> remember that it was around 3-5 times slower than the dmr compiler under
>> V7. This tells a lot about gcc's speed :-(
>
> Wanna try if that is still the case?  I can drag the uPDP 11/73 from my
> basement.  2BSD on it and all that.
>
> 8-)

I've wrote an emulator for the KDJ11A (11/73 I think) more than 10 years
ago before I gave my machine to Grog. It runs RSX11M[+], RT11, v[567],
2.11BSD at light speed :-) It's on people.freebsd.org/~harti. Compiles
2.11BSD in less than an hour. It's probably easier than to put up your
11/73 :-)

About pcc: I've a z8000 based computer with a Unix System III on which
uses pcc as the system compiler. It's so buggy that I wonder how the
system even runs. But I suppose these bugs are mostly in the z8000
backend (no sources to check, though).

harti