Memory allocation problems (ZFS/NFS/amd64)

From: Borja Marcos <BORJAMAR_at_SARENET.ES>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:34:28 +0200
Hello,

I've been doing a test with today's FreeBSD-current, amd64.

I've set up a website serving files from a NFS backend. The activity
is quite high (the machine has reached 40 Mbps), and I've configured
a stripping two disks ZFS filesystem as well, as I intended to do
some more tests.

However, I have a network problem:

Sep 19 17:16:18 server kernel: TCP: [X.Y.Z.T]:14301 to [A.B.C.D]:80;
syncache_socket: Socket create failed due to limits or memory shortage
Sep 19 17:16:18 server kernel: TCP: [X.Y.Z.T]:14301 to [A.B.C.D]:80
tcpflags 0x18<PUSH,ACK>; tcp_input: Listen socket: Socket allocation
failed due to limits or memory shortage, sending RST

These are not innocuous messages, the machine is rejecting
connections like crazy. Any ideas?
The number of established TCP connections was around 490, and the
machine has 2 GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance,

Borja.

"The thing he realised about the windows was this: because they had
been converted into openable windows after they had first been
designed to be impregnable, they were, in fact, much less secure than
if they had been designed as openable windows in the first place."
    Douglas Adams, "Mostly Harmless"