Re: VirtualBox?

From: Matt <datahead4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:30:37 -0500
On 9/4/07, Matt Olander <matt_at_ixsystems.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007 8:27 am, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 08:33:50 -0500, Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is anyone working on porting VirtualBox?
> > >
> > > http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Porting_VirtualBox
> > >
> > > It mentions FreeBSD but nothing conclusive. It should be easier than
> > > VMWare :)
> >
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBox_vs_Others (see in host box)
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/FreeBSD%20build%20instructions
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/search?q=freebsd&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on
> >
> > It looks like they are working on it.
>
> I spoke with a couple of their devs on Freenode and while they are willing to
> assist contributors porting to FreeBSD, they are not actively working on it
> themselves. Their response to my inquiry was "check out source and start
> porting!"
>
> A few of their devs hang out in #vbox-dev on Freenode. This would be an
> excellent port for FreeBSD.
>
> best,
> -matt
>
> --

I agree that this would be an excellent addition to the FreeBSD
toolset.  We use it on several Linux and Windows host machines and it
is quite good.

There has been some additional porting work of late and the VirtualBox
devs have been quick to import suggestions into their subversion tree.
 The result is that VirtualBox now builds successfully on FreeBSD
version 6.2 and 7-CURRENT with only minor patches (and those should
hopefully go away soon too).

However, the kernel driver (and some other things too) are missing and
need additional work.  Is there anyone here capable of helping with
that effort?

Regards,
Matt