Re: GSoC2007: cnst-sensors.2007-09-13.patch

From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:33:40 -0700
On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 12:20:07PM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> The CPU itself has a thermal control circuit which puts the CPU into a
> reduced duty cycle (ie, it reduces the core voltage and stops the CPU for
> something like 10 clocks, and then allows one clock through) and continues
> to run the CPU at about 10% of normal workload until the temperature falls
> below the critical threshold.  There's a good document here:

Are you referring to the Core 2 Duo C1E (Enhanced Halt State) processor
feature or the EIST feature?  I'm guessing C1E.  Note that for C1E to
work, it has to be enabled/available in the BIOS.

I'll add that C1E is really great, dropping temperatures during idle
periods by about 5-6C from what I've seen.  The additional C[234]E
states (at least for desktops) don't provide much benefit, but C1E
definitely does.