Re: GSoC2007: cnst-sensors.2007-09-13.patch

From: Constantine A. Murenin <cnst_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:49:11 -0400
Dear freebsd-{current,hardware}_at_,

Let me a give a few guiding comments for potential testers and
integrators of this patch.

First of all, let's start with a common pitfall:

*  You have to update your /boot/device.hints, and then reboot. In no
other circumstance will the isa-based lm(4) or it(4) be probed. Manually
updating the hints with kenv(1) after the system has already been booted
has no effect on the isa modules.  *

Second, since this patch is not only about the framework, but about some
Super I/O Hardware Monitoring drivers too, let me once again reiterate
on the popularity of the chips that are supported by the lm(4) and it(4)
drivers.

I have four boxes here, all run FreeBSD and OpenBSD.  Let's see what
Super I/O chips they have:

* AOpen AX4G-N (845G + Intel Pentium 4 Northwood): Winbond W83627HF-AM
* ASUS Terminator C3 (VIA CLE266 + VIA C3 Samuel 2): Winbond W83627THF-A
* ASUS V3-P5G965 (G965 + Intel Core 2 Duo Allendale): Winbond W83627DHG-A
* PCCHIPS V21G (VIA CN700 + VIA C7 Esther): ITE IT8716F-S

Out of the above, Winbond W83627* are supported by lm(4), and ITE
IT8716F-S by it(4). (Obviously, the drivers support other chips, too. ;)

In general, most boards from Taiwanese manufacturers have either a
Winbond or ITE Tech Super I/O chips, supported by lm(4) and it(4)
respectively;  e.g. if you have a Gigabyte or ASUS mainboard, then the
probability of you having one of these chips is quite substantial --
consider testing the patch if you are interested.

Supermicro boards also feature Winbond chips quite often -- feel free to
test.

Intel-branded boards, on the other hand, often use an SMBus-interfaced
Hardware Monitoring solution.  I have none of those boards, so none of
the SMBus drivers were ported to FreeBSD yet.

Anyhow, I hope this information helps some potential testers and
integrators. ;)

Cheers,
Constantine.