Re: Parallel port printing crashes 7.0 system

From: <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:32:21 +0100
On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 06:36:53PM +0200, P.U.Kruppa wrote:
> Sorry, from developer's handbook I guess I should find a vmcore.N
> file. There isn't any. My parallel printing attempts end up in
> some kind of single user mode on the root terminal with a
> 	db>
> prompt. Can I do anything with that?

That's the DDB prompt: from there you need to either get a backtrace or,
more usefully, generate a crash dump.

See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-online-ddb.html
for details.

To generate a crash dump that you can later use with kgdb, type "panic"
at the db> prompt.  Then, read
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-gdb.html
to find out how to obtain a backtrace that can help diagnose the fault.
If using the "panic" command doesn't generate a crash dump, you could
also do some diagnostics at the db> prompt by using commands such as
"trace" to get a stack trace, but unless you're connected over serial
you won't be able to get a copy of the output so it's better to see if
you can generate a crash dump first.

--
Bruce