strange happenings in current

From: Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 07:44:24 -0400
All:

I just observed something strange.... my current was about
a couple weeks old.. so I did the usual sup and update. Then
I updated (as I usually do) just the kernel..

Rebuilt.. rebooted.. and all of a sudden

a) I could not get to the console windows.. only X (ctl-alt-fx did
    not work.
b) I got a very archaic looking welcome to X screen (I have things
    setup to use gnome-session)..
c) When gnome started the clock failed.. and I could not bring
    up any xterms.

Now I quickly rolled back to my kernel.old... but this is strange..

Now I am not sure.. is it because I really need to do a build/install
  world?  (Which I don't do too often... due to the length of
time needed on my laptop.. and the possible many 100's of packages
to be rebuilt).. or is it something else...

Maybe I will get one of my 160 gig drives out.. backup .. and then
try the buildworld/install world and put in the new kernel and
see if I have any problems... then again.. I leave again for
S.J.. so maybe I won't :-0

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)