Re: Are large RAID stripe sizes useful with FreeBSD?

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:05:21 +0100
> Short answer: yes.  Larger stripe sizes would allow better performance
> for continuous read/write.  In theory they will negatively affect small
> size read/write but in practice you will notice that larger stripe size
> would give better performance in almost all cases.

One case where I have used large stripe sizes (though not with hardware raid
and not with FreeBSD) is with concurrent small reads (small = seek is the
dominant cost) on top of a device of many drives. In these cases you want to
minimize the chance that a particular read will span multiple stripes, such
that only a single drive will take a seek hit for a given request. This in
turn maximizes actual physical concurrency when under high load (=high
incoming request concurrency).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org