Re: Freebsd 7.0 DVD/CD-ROM lockups on ICH9R

From: Alexander Sack <pisymbol_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:31:08 -0400
Barney:

Are you sure your media is good?  Just a basic stupid question!  From
personal experiences on multiple OSes I've seen long timeouts/delays
with bad media.

I don't know if your box has all SATA ports or a mix of both SATA and
PATA.  But try switching the port on the DVD drive to either the
legacy controller or the AHCI one?  From the output nothing strikes at
me.  I know a lot of motherboards with ICH9R have two controllers
behind all the ports, one is basic legacy IDE (even if its SATA, it is
programmed as a classical PCI IDE controller in legacy mode) and one
that is tunable to either AHCI or Enhanced (basically a true PCI IDE
controller that doesn't take the default ISA I/O resources).  If this
is indeed a HBA driver issue, it would be good to know if its in the
AHCI path or not.

Since AHCI was detected (a good thing), try switching to Enhanced mode
(AHCI disabled) as just a quick experiment (then all ports will be
handled by classical IDE though you can lose some performance).

Hope this helps,

-aps