Promise SX4060 (PDC20621)

From: David Boyd <David.Boyd_at_insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 13:14:33 -0400
I'm attempting to convert a computer that was running Windows XP to FreeBSD
7.0-RELEASE.

The computer came with a Promise SX4060 ATA RAID controller with a 120GB
RAID-1 array.

The motherboard is an Intel D845WN.

The Promise controller contains a chip marked PDC20621.

The chipset is listed in the man page for ata.

During boot, the system continually reports "SETFEATURES" error messages for
both ad4 and ad8 but never reports seeing the ar0 disc.

A google of FreeBSD and SX4060 returns several hits with this same set of
errors being reported by Mark Kirkwood for 6.1-RC1.

Was this problem resolved?

Is this card supported?

I can provide some details of the messages, but the volume of data prevents
me from writing all of it.  The messages are exactly the same ones from the
complaint mentioned above.

This computer is not in production (yet!), so I can try almost anything that
you can suggest.

I have reinstalled Windows XP to verify that the motherboard, controller and
drives are usable.

Thanks.