Re: [RFC] Automated generation of /etc/resolv.conf from the rc.d script

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:21:40 -0400

Eygene Ryabinkin writes:

> > > Yes, I know that, but I would like to see it controllable from rc.conf
> > > like the rest of our network configuration.
> >
> > OK, since running local DNS instance is a neat idea, I will try to
> > draft the modifications for the dhclient-exit-hooks, as I described
> > in the previous mail.
>
> At last, I did the needed modifications: patches against 7.0 from
> yesterday, April 13th, are attached.  The first one enables the
> creation of /etc/resolv.conf from rc.conf variables and the second
> brings the named forwarders rewriting using values obtained via
> DHCP.  I had touched dhclient-script, but it was really needed,
> because it is not good to have simular functionality in /etc/rc.d/resolv
> and in the dhclient-script.
>
> I decided not to cope with modifications of /etc/namedb/named.conf,
> but rather to create other file, /etc/namedb/named.forwarders.conf,
> that should be included from the main configuration.
>
> I am living for two days with this configuration (DHCP + local named
> instance) and no problems were spotted yet.
>
> Testing and feedback are more than welcome.

You can already override the domain name and DNS servers (including either
overriding, providing a default, or prepending or appending to the list) via
setings in /etc/dhclient.conf, so I don't think new rc.conf variables for
that would be warranted.  Updating named.conf to forward is a neat idea.
Howver, on my laptop on HEAD I've ended up just running nscd instead of a
local DNS server and doing a 'nscd -I hosts' when I get a new lease to flush
the host cache.  When I get to my laptop I'll post my bits of
dhclient-exit-hooks and dhclient.conf to make this work.

--
John Baldwin