Re: [RFC] Automated generation of /etc/resolv.conf from the rc.d script

From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd_at_codelabs.ru>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:48:54 +0400
John, good day.

Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:07:39PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > In the case of DHCP -- yes, I can.  But sometimes I need to specify
> > the static entries for the resolv.conf: I am using it when I am
> > working in some places where DHCP isn't available, so I am creating
> > branched /etc/rc.conf.  And it is useful to have all variables in
> > one place.  For my usage, dhclient.conf is not relevant, since I
> > am happily taking all that was given me via DHCP.
>
> This was not clear from your earlier e-mails where it seemed that you were
> worried primarily about munging dhclient-script (which would be the DHCP
> case).

May be I was not clear.  Sorry for that.

> Given that you can already manage the DHCP case
> via /etc/dhclient.conf I think adding rc.conf variables to duplicate that
> functionality would be superfluous.

I think you're not understood what I did.  I had added rc.conf
variables that will override anything: DHCP, existing resolv.conf,
etc.  They are not tied to any particular way of obtaining the
needed information for the resolv.conf: they just forcing to use
the specified values.  That was the first patch.

The second patch was concerned with the named forwarders.  It had
also touched /etc/rc.d/resolv making it to recognize kenv variables
dhclient.*.  It was done to unify the place of management for
/etc/resolv.conf: since dhclient-script was also trying to create
/etc/resolv.conf, I decided to move this functionality to the
standard place (/etc/rc.d/resolv) and to make dhclient-script to
call it.

So there is no functionality duplication concerned with the new
rc.conf variables in the general case.  There are (possibly redundant)
modifications to the dhclient-script to make it call rc.d script,
but this is not what you're talking about.  Any views?
--
Eygene