Re: wpi doesn't work again

From: Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 03:31:13 +1200
On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 10:06:21PM +0800, Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now I have current installed on my machine. I built the world about a
> month ago and the wpi driver works well.
> But now it doesn't work again. All the configuration files remains
> untouched since last built. Here is the information.
> Then I boot the kernel.old/kernel, which is the backup Current kernel
> built month ago, every thing works fine.
>
> if I turn the radio down and up again, then
> localhost# ifconfig wpi0 down
> localhost# ifconfig wpi0 up scan
> ifconfig:unable to get scan results

Have a look in src/UPDATING

 The 802.11 wireless support was redone to enable multi-bss
 operation on devices that are capable.  The underlying device
 is no longer used directly but instead wlanX devices are
 cloned with ifconfig.  This requires changes to rc.conf files.
 For example, change:
    ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"
    wlans_ath0=wlan0
    ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
 see rc.conf(5) for more details.

 As part of the multi-bss changes the wlan_scan_ap and wlan_scan_sta
 modules were merged into the base wlan module.  All references
 to these modules (e.g. in kernel config files) must be removed.

You need to create the wlan device from wpi0 and use that for wireless

  ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev wpi0

Andrew