Re: Re: [RFC] Automated generation of /etc/resolv.conf from the rc.d script

From: Mike Makonnen <mtm_at_wubethiopia.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:13:46 +0300
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <+rkPaEJgDwWM+WmNdLneOfPN6Ps_at_sTlCVUsSEVReKIVdz1gJKNXWeKE>, Eygene Ry
> abinkin writes:
>
>>> I think this is a much needed facility.  Some ISP's block DNS queries
>>> from private customers to force them to use the ISP's DNS and
>>> not having this forces a cumbersome manual configuration.
>> Hmm, my patch does not change anything in the respect to the ISP's
>> DNS servers: resolv.conf or BIND will use the nameservers given by
>> DHCP or manually configured via /etc/rc.conf.
>
> That's the point: You get the DNS server IPs from your ISP using
> DHCP :-)

Eygene,

Have you looked at openresolv (http://roy.marples.name/openresolv)? I
installed it on my laptop a while back and I'm pretty happy with it, but
haven't been able to take it any further wrt FreeBSD (ENOTIME). I think
it solves all your problems and one that I haven't seen addressed yet:
domain specific dns servers. For example, it's very useful for when I
have a wired interface connecting to my local network with its own name
servers and and a wireless interface connected to the internet. As
things stand now when I get my dhcp lease from the wireless AP it
overwrites my wired interface's name server settings. However, with
openresolv both can coexist together. Plus it's BSD licensed.

Cheers.
Mike.