RE: vge(4) gigabit on VIA EPIA SN 18000 board (again)

From: Stuart Fraser <stuart_at_stuartfraser.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:17:47 +0100
Hi Sorry I always meant to post a summary of the solution back to the list,
never quite found the time. So to make amends here is the status:

Pyun looked into it for me and we broke it down into two parts:

First there required a patch to the ip1000phy physical layer, which I
believe he has committed to cvs HEAD a few weeks back.

Secondly there is a patch to the vge(4) driver which mostly fixes the 1G
issues. What I was finding is that if I configured the interface in rc.conf
it wouldn't come up in 1G mode it would auto select 100FullDuplex. Anytime
after that it seemed to configure fine - go figure so I just config it in a
later /usr/local/etc/rc.d script. I have tried to soak test as much as I can
and it appears stable underload.

Anyways I know the patches are based not based on the most recent versions
of the code but with a little patience I managed to apply them manually and
recompiled the kernel. I'm sure he said I could pass on the code so you
should find it attached, as I say a little manual patching required perhaps.

Rgds

Stuart