Re: HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled (was: 8.0 network stack MPsafety goals (fwd))

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:26:48 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> An FYI on the state of things here: in the last month, John has updated a
>> number of device drivers to be MPSAFE, and the USB work remains in-flight.
>> I'm holding fire a bit on disabling IFF_NEEDSGIANT while things settle and
>> I catch up on driver state, and will likely send out an update next week
>> regarding which device drivers remain on the kill list, and generally what
>> the status of this project is.
>
> Here's the revised list of drivers that will have their build disabled in
> the next week (subject to an appropriate block of time for me):

A quick update: I had postponed removing IFF_NEEDSGIANT while awaiting the
apparently forthcoming USB stack commit.  Since it appears slow in coming, I
will move ahead and disconnect non-USB drivers that require IFF_NEEDSGIANT in
the coming week, but will leave the IFF_NEEDSGIANT infrastructure there, along
with the current USB drivers that depend on it, until the USB merge is done.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge