Re: termcap under single luser

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:30:54 +0200 (CEST)
Randy Bush wrote:

 > > As far as I can see, /rescue/vi reads the following termcap files:
 > >
 > > $HOME/.termcap
 > > $HOME/.termcap.db
 > > /usr/share/misc/termcap.db
 > >
 > > So copying /usr/share/misc/termcap.db to /root/.termcap.db works, at
 > > least for single user.  Note the termcap files do reference some other
 > > stuff under /usr/share/tabset, but it doesn't seem to matter much.
 >
 > reasonable looking hack.  and i may put in as a bridge, as i have a post
 > world script.  thanks.
 >
 > but des took my hint.  i suspect that is the long-term path.  or, if
 > space saving rules, remove vi and ex from /rescue.

This seems to be a problem with nvi.  AFAIR the original
BSD vi would run fine without a termcap.  It would enter
open-mode automatically in that case.  Among the various
vi clones, elvis implements open-mode, but nvi does not.

Anyway, I vote for moving termcap to /etc.

Best regards
   Oliver

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.