Re: termcap under single luser

From: Thomas Dickey <dickey_at_radix.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 10:09:10 -0400
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 04:04:14PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2008-08-04 15:30, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > This seems to be a problem with nvi.  AFAIR the original
> > BSD vi would run fine without a termcap.  It would enter
> > open-mode automatically in that case.  Among the various
> > vi clones, elvis implements open-mode, but nvi does not.
> >
> > Anyway, I vote for moving termcap to /etc.
>
> Please note that /rescue/vi does NOT read termcap from /etc, at least
> not on RELENG_7.  (The ncurses library only seems to use $HOME/.termcap
> and /usr/share/misc/termcap, nothing else.)

That behavior can be overridden (man ncurses):

       TERMPATH
            If TERMCAP does not hold a  file  name  then  ncurses  checks  the
            TERMPATH  symbol.  This is a list of filenames separated by spaces
            or colons (i.e., ":") on Unix, semicolons on  OS/2  EMX.   If  the
            TERMPATH  symbol is not set, ncurses looks in the files /etc/term-
            cap, /usr/share/misc/termcap and $HOME/.termcap, in that order.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net