ral, rum and bi-antenna

From: David Naylor <naylor.b.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:13:14 +0200
Hi,

I happen to have the good fortune of owning a RT2661S (ral driver) and a
RT2601USB (rum driver) [manufactured by Canyon].  Both chipsets have the
ability to handle two antenna.

Now the good fortune, both chipsets default to the wrong antenna.  When I
should be getting a stable connection at about -70dBm instead I am getting
very poor connection (less than 50% connectivity, reported from ping) and
about -90dBm.

After looking at the FreeBSD driver code (and the [Open/Net]BSD) the antenna
selection is marked as *TBD*.  Does anyone know how to add antenna selection
(the ralink linux drivers are a wild maze).  I considered trying to do it
myself but I do not know the first thing about kernel hacking (let alone
chipset drivers) and have no idea where to start.

I was thinking a stop-gap solution will be to have the antenna selectable
using tunables/sysctl?

Needless to say I am very willing to try any patches (and even attempt to
create one myself if someone could point me in the right direction...).

Regards

David

P.S. Anyone know the release schedule for 6.4 and 7.1?