Re: termcap under single luser

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:37:04 -0500
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 11:11:30PM +0900 I heard the voice of
Tod McQuillin, and lo! it spake thus:

> A somewhat unconventional approach to this is to install
> /usr/share/misc/termcap into the root filesystem, normally
> underneath and hidden by the /usr mount, but visible again in the
> case where /usr is not mounted.

Actually, I take a different approach, in that I no longer separate /
and /usr on new system setups.  I couldn't come up with any good
reason not to.  There's no space-wise reason anymore, not for several
decades.  Access patterns are pretty much the same.

The most persuasive reason is to be more sure that / is good, even if
/usr gets screwed up.  But how can it get screwed up?  Random hard
drive failure?  Just as likely to hit anywhere.  Crash-caused
corruption?  Not really a concern unless you're writing.  And I don't
write /usr more often than I write /; in fact, FAR less often.  About
the only time /usr gets touched is during installworld; / gets tweaked
all the time what with /etc.

/usr/local?  /var?  /tmp?  Sure, they're all off somewhere else.  But
I'm long out of good, or even not-so-good, reasons to keep / and /usr
segregated.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net