Re: gnome2/x11 slow after optimization!

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:45:38 +0200
Quoting "Rohit Tripathi" <rohit.trip_at_gmail.com> (from Thu, 21 Aug 2008
13:38:09 -0400):

Adding some more info to what other people already told...

> KERNCONF=WAV
> NO_WERROR=YES
> WERROR=-Wno-error

If there's an error in the default setup with the default compiler
with the default warning options, it's a problem. You better fail than
fall on your nose after installing what was produced. If you use a
non-default compiler you are on your own, and using non-default
warning options does not make sense if you don't develop new stuff.

> #NO_CLEAN=yes
> #NO_CLEANDIR=yes
> CPUTYPE=core2 #nocona
> ARCH=core2 #nocona
> MACHINE=core2 #nocona
> MACHINE_ARCH=core2 #nocona

Only set one of them (CPUTYPE), the rest will be set automatically if
necessary. Don't mess with this.

> CFLAGS= -O3 -pipe -mtune=core2 -m128bit-long-double -mfpmath=sse
> -ftree-vectorize
> CXXFLAGS+= -fconserve-space
> BDECFLAGS=      -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align \
>                 -Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Winline \
>                 -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith \
>                 -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wwrite-strings

Normally you don't need the BDECFLAGS (only additional warning),
except you want to improve the code.

> #CFLAGS         +=      ${BDECFLAGS}
> COPTFLAGS       =       -O -pipe -mtune=core2 -m128bit-long-double
> -mfpmath=sse

Very big no-no! Do not use floating point stuff in COPTFLAGS. This is
for the kernel, and you ware not allowed to use floating point stuff
in the kernel. Let the CPUTYPE handle the tuning.

> DISABLE_SIZE    =       YES
> FETCH_CMD       =       /usr/local/bin/wget -c --passive-ftp
> ftp_proxy=$ftp_proxy

Fetch is able to do passive ftp too (and this is the default). You
should set the ftp proxy in FETCH_ENV instead, this way it's also
available in case you revert pack to the normal FETCH_CMD.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Song Title of the Week:
	"They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137