Re: sun4v arch

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:55:10 +1000
On 2008-Aug-22 17:04:00 +0200, Kris Kennaway <kris_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>Just so everyone is on the same page, what is needed to keep sun4v
>viable are people with experience with (or intention to learn about) low
>level architectural and implementation details of the FreeBSD kernel

What documentation is currently accurate for this beyond the source
code?  The only things I can quickly find are: "Design & Implementation
of FreeBSD 5.2" and "FreeBSD Architecture Handbook".  The former is
getting quite old and I'm not sure how up-to-date the latter is kept.

>the sun4v hardware platform,

Is the documentation at http://www.opensparc.net/opensparc-t1/index.html
and http://www.opensparc.net/opensparc-t2/index.html adequate for this
or is there additional information that is needed?  Is there any tutorial
style documentation on the low-level T1/T2 details?

> who know their way around things like
>pmap.c and other MD places where the kernel interfaces with the "bare
>metal",

I've poked around the low-level details of FreeBSD/i386 and /Alpha in
the past, though I'm nothing like an expert at it.  sun4v/sun4v is
only about twice the size of a 6th Edition kernel...

> and who are willing to make a long term (multi-year) commitment
>to supporting the platform.

Yes.

Is there a summary of the open issues somewhere?  There are no sun4v
PRs open.  http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/sun4v effectively hasn't
been touched since November 2006 and suggests that the only critical
issue is lack of serial port support.

--
Peter Jeremy