Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 02:00:33 +0400
Marcel,

Thank you for the information, I've read your vtc(4) page, links are also
useful. However, currently I'd like to perform a smaller task: just bring
UTF-8 to syscons. I feel that this is possible.

Basically, my need for UTF-8 originates in software that do not understand
$LANG properly. I am using FreeBSD as desktop workstation at work and as
entertainment box at home. Naturally, there are files named in russian and
my system uses koi8-r. However, some software does not respect $LANG in
full, some linux-oriented applications just assume UTF-8 environment. Though
it is possible to switch to UTF-8 locale and this would work for X, I do not
like loosing the ability to read filenames when using plain character-mode
syscons, because I consider and use that mode as a failsafe human interface
for the OS.

So that, the primary goal is just bring UTF-8 to syscons. For me It's a kind
of a real bird in the hand. Birds in the bush can be caught later.

Alexander Churanov