Re: "legacy" usb stack fixes (was: Re: HEADSUP new usb code coming in.)

From: Volker <volker_at_vwsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:52:31 +0200
On 08/24/08 06:57, Antony Mawer wrote:
> On 23/08/2008 8:08 PM, Volker wrote:

>>> I'd be happy to test patches if you do end up doing this.. it would be
>>> really nice to have in 7.1, or at least available as a patchset if it
>>> isn't suitable for MFC (eg. ABI changes)...
>>
>> I'm a bit behind with reading emails. Please forgive me if this has
>> already been answered.
>>
>> Don't expect the new USB stack for 7.1-R. It's too short and the new USB
>> stack will introduce an ABI breakage. For that, all drivers written for
>> the old USB stack need to be rewritten and I guess, we need to take care
>> about 3rd party developers and inform them in advance about that massive
>> change. I would not wonder if this will never get MFC'd but I don't know
>> actually.
>
> This wasn't about the new USB stack -- we were discussing the buffer
> cache and CAM-related fixes that prevents the system from panic'ing when
> a USB device is unplugged without first unmounting the filesystem. These
> patches are in HEAD with the existing USB stack. :-)
>
> --Antony

Antony,

please forgive me. While re-reading the thread partially, I've also seen
your question was about the old usb stack.

That does happen if $SUBJECT does not match $CONTENT (you could have
changed $SUBJECT when driving the discussion into another direction).

Anyway, I've already had those crashes even with the "new" usb stack
(but it doesn't happen everytime - YMMV).

Volker