Thread-caching added to jemalloc

From: Jason Evans <jasone_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:18:46 -0700
I committed a largish set of jemalloc changes today, including the
addition of thread-specific caching.  This has the potential to
dramatically reduce the amount of locking necessary, but it can also
increase memory usage.

I'm interested in feedback on how well the code works for your
real-world multi-threaded applications.  If you do perform benchmarks,
don't forget to define MALLOC_PRODUCTION in src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c
before building, and see the malloc(3) man page for tuning information.
  In particular, note that you can disable thread-specific caching by
setting MALLOC_OPTIONS=g in the environment, so it should be easy to
perform comparative benchmarks.

Thanks,
Jason