Re: Enormous utmp since mpsafetty

From: Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:12:55 +0200
On 2008-08-26 22:44:55 (+0800), kevin <kevinxlinuz_at_163.com> wrote:
> Philip Paeps wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed that /var/run/utmp sometimes grows to insane sizes
> > (998M) since mpsafetty?  I've been trying to pinpoint the culprit but I
> > haven't been successful so far.
> >
> > I don't think mpsafetty itself is to blame.  Rather something which expects
> > our old tty system.
> >
> > My original reaction was to blame screen, but I can't immediately see where it
> > might be going wrong.
> >
> > Mysterious.  Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Could you check the output of `last`?

The output of last looks sane...  last checks wtmp though, not utmp, if I'm
not mistaken?  Interestingly, strings on utmp only shows the records I expect
to be there.  The rest of the file seems to be filled with zeros.

Very strange.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip_at_freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  Artists are more used to drawing with things like pens than with
  mice. Maybe Damien Hirst has found a way of being artistic with mice
  that I haven't heard of...
          -- Peter Kenny