Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Scott Robbins <scottro_at_nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 06:46:30 -0400
On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 04:42:36PM +0800, Tz-Huan Huang wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Alexander Churanov
> <alexanderchuranov_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/8/28 Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
> >>
> >> Right now, a Chinese sysadmin cannot simply go to a FreeBSD
> >> console, run mutt and read mails from his co-workers that
> >> contain Chinese characters.  This *does* work fine with
> >> Linux.  This is clearly an area where FreeBSD is lacking.

I don't know about Chinese, however, for Japanese, FreeBSD and Linux
both require (and both have) the kon (maybe it's called kon2 now)
program.  This enables you to read the characters in console, although
it doesn't allow input.  I see that paps was ported to FreeBSD in June
or so, which was something Linux had and FreeBSD didn't (though it was
easy to manually install it) which enables you to print a Japanese text
file without opening X.

As far as Japanese input goes, Linux doesn't offer any advantage over
FreeBSD (save for a few Japanese based distributions--and even in that
case, it's all X based.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: She murdered a man right in front of me, and I can't
even testify to that fact in a court of law.
Cordelia: Well, maybe in night court you could...