Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 21:55:59 +1000
On 2008-Aug-30 10:39:02 +0200, Marcus von Appen <mva_at_sysfault.org> wrote:
>I wonder, how backspacing will be implemented for complex scripts such
>as the Indic one or Arabic, where two codepoints will be resolved to one
>logical (and usually visible) character.

IMHO, unless we want to embed the equivalent of pango in the kernel,
the only realistic solution is to count unicode codepoints.

>In my opinion that'd mean either that for codepoints, which are not
>rendered, either the internal unicode set is used (for Arabic this'd be
>form 1) or the user-visible one (form 2). In either of those case the
>backspacing might appear broken to the user.

It would be useful to know how other implementations work because I
can't see how to avoid some degree of broken-ness without a complete
CTF implementation.  If we aim syscons at sysadmins then a degree of
misbehaviour may be acceptable.

>Creating a useful CJK font however will mostly mean to implement around
>at least 1000-2000 characters ;-).

The fonts are available in ports.  I'm not sure if there are existing
bit-mapped fonts but a TTF or similar font can be converted to a
bitmap without major effort.  Antialiasing would help with legibility.

--
Peter Jeremy