csh history and pts

From: Pawel Worach <pawel.worach_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:10:29 +0200
Hi,

Since the MPSAFETTY landing and pts being the default csh seems to loose
the contents of ~/.history when "shutdown -r now" is issued, I'm not
sure about the timeframe but I have not noticed this before and I use
history quite a bit.

Steps to reproduce (tested with root):
1) Login on console (ttyv0)
2) Issued a couple of commands
3) Logout
5) 'history' and your previous session shows up, all good.
6) 'shutdown -r now'
7) After boot, login, 'history' and it's blank.

At step #6 a reboot(8) does not cause this, only shutdown(8), or at
least so it seems. Does shutdown(8) send a evil signal to csh so it
looses the history?

Relevant parts of .cshrc:
set history = 2000
set savehist = (2000 merge)