Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:38:27 +0400
2008/8/30 Marcus von Appen <mva_at_sysfault.org>

> I wonder, how backspacing will be implemented for complex scripts such
> as the Indic one or Arabic, where two codepoints will be resolved to one
> logical (and usually visible) character.

This definitely will not be implemented. At least, in current iteration.
:-)
Syscons will count code points.

> In either of those case the backspacing might appear broken to the user.

Yes. The improvement will not solve all internationalization issues at once.
Just some of them.

> What frightens me away is the implementation cost for the fonts.

I'm planning only software engineering work for this project. Probably,
someone else will have to prepeare fonts, event if that is a costly task.

> Rendering complex RTL scripts (Arabic, Hebrew) is another issue. In
> case RTL layout is left aside, they still will need proper bidi
> support, otherwise they are useless in my opinion.

Complex and non-LTR scripts will not be rendered properly. Or, more exactly,
not better than now. I'm considering rendering as another issue. So, only
code points for the first step.
Alexander Churanov