Re: ale driver on asus eeepc 901 could not disable Tx/Rx under traffic flow

From: Ole <subbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:59:56 +0300
Hello Maillist,

ifconfig ale0:
ale0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=319b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
        ether 00:22:15:92:4f:a0
        inet 172.32.1.51 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 172.32.255.255
        status: active

I see, the problem is floating and in my case depend from type of remote port
on ethernet cable.

For example when connect my book (with ale0) to 1Gbit/s pc port (with FreeBSD-
Current and Marvell card (msk driver)) i get
 ale0: could not disable Tx/Rx MAC(0x00000008)!
 ale0: DMA read error! -- resetting
and flapping interface forever when traffic flow.

 when i connection ale0 to 100Mbit/s switch port or to 100Mbit/s PC (with
Windows OS) through cross-over cable, ale0 work perfect without any warning.

Currenlty i reproduce problem only with PC:msk<->PC:ale link.

I try to collect more information for other situation.

PS: PC with  FreeBSD/msk driver working with other (!= ale0) link (to switch
or to PC) is fine.

> Hello Maillist,
 >
 > Im using FreeBSD-CURRENT (from 01122008 snap from cvs) and got looped
notice
 > in dmesg buffer when LAN Ethernet generate some traffic:
 > ..
 > ale0: could not disable Tx/Rx MAC(0x00000008)!
 > ale0: DMA read error! -- resetting
 > ..
 > ale0: could not disable Tx/Rx MAC(0x00000008)!
 > ..
 > with flapping interface (link going to down and back up).

Hmm, there was similiar report but I couldn't reproduce this on
my box. In fact I'm out of idea why it happens. Since I have no
access to datasheet I'm not sure what can be done at the moment.
Even a developer in Atheros answered that changing mainboard would
be the first step to diagnose the issue. :-(

 > ifconfig ale0 -txcsum -rxcsum -tso and forcing link for media 10BaseT/UTP
is
 > in vain.

There are a couple of magic values related with PHY in Linux driver
which I didn't want to include as I don't understand what it does.
Do you use 10baseT media? Would you show me the output of
"ifconfig ale0"?

 > Under small traffic flow ale0 work is fine without errors. Somebody meet
with
 > like similar prombel on Asus eee pc 901 ? Thanks

Anyway, I'll let you know if I mange to find a clue to the issue.
--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon