Re: HEADS UP: New ZFS in the tree.

From: Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken_at_mthelicon.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 01:39:26 +0000
On Wednesday 03 December 2008 23:33:53 Stefan Bethke wrote:
> Am 03.12.2008 um 00:29 schrieb Peter Schuller:
> >> I've noticed the past couple of days, when using the server (not very
> >> often), every now and then, the GUI (KDE 4.1) will "hang" for up to 5
> >> minutes (no mouse movement, no keyboard events), while the drives
> >> work like
> >> crazy.
> >
> > I was not explicit about it, but FWIW in my case the hang is not due
> > to drive saturation. The drives were mostly idle (except some stuff
> > triggered by a buildworld I had going) during the extended period of
> > ktorrent being unkillable. But again I never had this happen
> > pre-CURRENT.
>
> Just a very brief "me too" (but possibly different effect): I'm stress
> testing two machines I put together over the weekend with an endless
> loop of make -j4 universe, with /usr/obj on ZFS, with a single disk.
> One of the two machines has now been stuck for a couple of hours, and
> trying to access /tank results in a hung process, as will zfs list.
>
> I'll reboot and see what happens, and if I can trigger it again, willt
> try to produce more details.
>
> I have set
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="512M"
> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1
> in loader.conf
>
> FreeBSD lokschuppen.lassitu.de 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #1: Wed
> Dec  3 07:05:03 UTC 2008     root_at_lokschuppen.lassitu.de:/usr/obj/usr/
> src/sys/EISENBOOT  amd64

Another Me to...

	I have had this problem with zfs as well, but not during a build. I was using
ktorrent with a geli volume mounted within a zvol that I created in my raidz
zpool. It appeared to lock up while doing its preallocation.

	Another strange lock up I had was when I had my SSD disk go wonkey on me and
I lost the ZIL I had placed on it. The machine would boot up and when it tried
to taste the ZFS drives, the machine would dead lock.

	After rebuilding the pool from various snapshot sends I made, everything
seemed OK, however, recently (and I know this is subjective) my machine is
acting a bit sluggish and under heavy load while building the world (-j4) I
get very jerkey mouse movements while in KDE4.1

In my loader I have:
vm.kmem_size_max="2G"
vm.kmem_size="2G"
vfs.zfs.arc_min="32M"