Re: i give up

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:46:28 -0500
On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 22:53 -0500, Robert Atkinson wrote:
> I second this idea since with my nearly a decade of FreeBSD
> administration under the belt, it is a waste of my time to throw it
> away. It is much cheaper for me to swap a card or even task a
> different machine for hardware that just isn't meant to be in FBSD.
>
> I'll use the penguin where I have too, I am forced to use it due to
> the VPS solution I chose. The price was right and it does what I wish
> it to do, but I would never, ever give up on the box under my desk and
> turn my back on this otherwise outstanding operating system.
>
> I have however, had many users who I show Linux give up because
> everything they own in the house is not supported. They always say
> "isn't linux supposed to be great?" and I can only say that they
> should learn to write device drivers and only buy hardware that has
> well known support.

Folks, I hate to contribute to this bikeshed, but developers are few,
hardware specs are scarce and developers have to put what resources they
have to work where it does the most good.  I personally think that we do
a fantastic job, given the resources available, but we can't support
every random piece of hardware.

For the original poster, I hope that you will reconsider your options
and send specific details to a wider audience than Soren.  If Soren is
busy with life, perhaps someone else has the bandwidth to help with your
issue.  I generally find our developer community is quite willing to
help sort out issues, often at the expense of having a life.

All of that said, when given an option I also try to acquire hardware
from vendors that provide open documentation as attempting to reverse
engineer, or crib from linux code is the suck...  Vendors that do
provide open documentation are usually well supported.

robert.