Re: NFS (& amd?) dysfunction descending a hierarchy

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:50:22 -0800
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:30:26AM -0500, Rick Macklem wrote:
> The different behaviour for -CURRENT could be the newer RPC layer that
> was recently introduced, but that doesn't explain the basic problem.

OK.

> All I can think of is to ask the obvious question. "Are you using
> interruptible or soft mounts?" If so, switch to hard mounts and see
> if the problem goes away. (imho, neither interruptible nor soft mounts
> are a good idea. You can use a forced dismount if there is a crashed
> NFS server that isn't coming back anytime soon.)

From examination of /etc/amd* -- I don't see how to get mount(8) or
amq(8) to report it -- it appears that we are using interruptible
mounts, as we always have.

The point is that the behavior has changed in an unexpected way.  And
I'm not so sure that the use of a forced dismount is generally
available, as it would require logging in to the NFS client first, which
may be difficult if the NFS server hosting non-root home directories is
failing to respond and direct root login via ssh(1) is not permitted (as
is the default).

> If you are getting this with hard mounts, I'm afraid I have no idea
> what the problem is, rick.

What concerns me is that even if the attempted unmount gets EBUSY, the
user-level process descending the directory hierarchy is getting ENOENT
trying to issue fstatfs() against an open file descriptor.

I'm having trouble figuring out any way that makes any sense.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.