Re: RTL8102E (if_re) doesn't work with -current

From: Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:10:19 -0800
Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 07:15:41PM -0800, Bruce Cran wrote:
>  > Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>  > >On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:30:02AM -0800, Bruce Cran wrote:
>  > > > I just upgraded an HP Pavillion laptop from 7.1-RC1 to 8-CURRENT last
>  > > > night and now the network doesn't work.  This laptop has a RTL8102E
>  > > > chip, and no errors appear in the logs - it attaches and doesn't claim
>  > > > to have any TX/RX errors, but it just doesn't do anything.  I've
>  > > > attached the dmesg from a verbose boot.   I've seen messages saying
>  > > > there might be issues with MSI interrupts - is that possibly an issue
>  > > here?
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > >No, it is in disabled state by default.
>  > >The issue could be related with link state tracking code in re(4).
>  > >Would you show me the output of "devinfo -rv | grep rlphy"?
>  > >How about unplugging/replugging UTP cable?
>  > >Does it make any difference?
>  > >
>  >
>  > devinfo provides the output:
>  >                rlphy0 pnpinfo oui=0x20 model=0x20 rev=0x1 at phyno=1
>  >
>  > I let the startup continue so that dhclient was still running in the
>  > background, and I started getting lots of messages:
>  >
>  > arp: 00:1e:ec:72:2b:8e attempts to modify permanent entry for 0.0.0.0 on re0
>  >
>  > After unplugging the replugging the UTP cable the messages
>  >
>  > re0: link state changed to DOWN
>  > re0: link state changed to UP
>  >
>  > apppeared in the logs but dhclient still didn't get any replies, and the
>  > arp messages started again.
>  >

> Hmm, this seem to happen when link partner doesn't support NWAY
> autonegotiation. Can you confirm that?
> And would you try attached patch? Also show me the outout of
> "ifconfig re0" before/after applying attached patch.

The laptop is connected straight into the apartment internet system, so
I don't know what sort of switch it is.  However I applied your 2nd
patch but nothing changed; the ifconfig output is still

re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

options=389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
    ether 00:1e:ec:f5:fd:4f
    inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
    status: active

I did notice that if I unplug and replug the UTP cable while dhclient is
trying to find a lease during startup then as soon as I plug it in again
it claims to find a lease and configures the IP address, routes etc.
However trying to ping anything once the system has started results in
the message "No buffer space available" so the network isn't really working.

--
Bruce Cran