Re: Request for testing - top 3.8b1 in the base system

From: Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:17:09 -0500
On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:46:20PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> I have made an update for the top(1) utility in the FreeBSD base
> system to get it from the 3.5b12 version to the 3.8b1 version.

[...]
> Please report any issues with it (compile time, run time) and a way
> to reproduce it (if possible). Thanks for your help!

There's an overflow bug in format_k2 in 3.5b12 that means that top can
corrupt the SIZE field of processes which allocate 2TB or more of memory; that
seems to be fixed in 3.8b1 but I've noticed that if a process allocates
over 2TB then it doesn't show up at the top of the display when sorting
by SIZE in 3.8b1; I suspect there must be another overflow somewhere.
I'm sure it'll be a good few years before anyone actually hits this
bug running real programs, but I don't know if it might affect other
things.

--
Bruce Cran