Re: [Fwd: em0 disappeared]

From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd_at_codelabs.ru>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:26:28 +0300
Uwe, good day.

Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 01:45:59AM +0100, Uwe Grohnwaldt wrote:
> Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> > older tyan motherboards. when i upgraded from 7.x to current (amd64
> > arch) both onboard bge nics disappeared. i had to go to the bios
> > screen and set "installed os" (or something like that) to "linux".
> > other choices were "windows" and "other" (default).
> >
> The problem is: it is a rented Strato-Server. So I have no access to the
> bios.

Then the first thing to provide is the output from the verbose boot of
the system in question.  In your case the system isn't event seeing the
PCI device (NIC), so it will be very good to get two outputs: from the
system where you had your card recognized and from one that doesn't
recognise it.

Another thing to try is to disable ACPI.  This seems to be very uneasy
step -- for me, 8-CURRENT without ACPI wasn't been able to find even the
disks, so you likely will want to use nextboot(8).  But may be some
ACPI-related things are plaing their role, so this is worth to try it.
At least it helped me in the past on some systems.
--
Eygene