[Testers wanted] vt100/xterm-support for syscons

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:59:51 +0100
Hello all,

Some time ago I sent a message to the lists about vt100/xterm/UTF-8
support for syscons. I think the code is pretty stable now and after
some minor improvements/fixes, it should be ready to hit the tree.

I'm sending this message to this list, because it would be nice if
people could test the patch before I commit it. Especially if people
with different fonts/keymaps could test it, it would be really nice.

Patches are available at:

	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ed/mpsafetty/

Some random notes:

- The patch also contains some WIP manual pages of the MPSAFE TTY code.
  These won't be committed.

- PC98 will not be affected by this patch. The PC98 port has a custom
  scterm module, which shall be left intact.

- UTF-8 support has not been enabled. We need to fix other things first
  (keyboard input, fonts, etc) before we can enable it. If people
  already want to test the UTF-8 handling of the terminal emulator, they
  can search for `TEKEN_UTF8' in teken.h.

- I'm still leaving $TERM set to `cons25'. You can already do
  experiments by changing it to `xterm-color'. It should work pretty
  good, but we don't have support for SCS (Set Character Set) yet. This
  means things like box drawing will be broken if you enable it. I
  guess this should be fixed after we gain UTF-8 support. We can then
  just convert the character sets to their Unicode equivalents.

- Try SSH'ing/telneting to your Cisco/HP/etc network devices. This
  should work pretty good now.

If no serious issues turn up that I've not been able to fix before the
end of the year, I'll commit it one of the first days of January.
Thanks!

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/