Re: HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks.

From: Remko Lodder <remko_at_elvandar.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:04:19 +0100
On Dec 23, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Wilko Bulte wrote:
>> Quoting Rink Springer, who wrote on Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 05:23:36PM
>> +0100 ..
>>> Hi people,

>>> For what it's worth, I think this is *way* too early to be even
>>> considering this; there is still massive fundamental work being
>>> performed on the new stack (which reminds me that I really should
>>> get
>>> back to my permission patches soonish), but that is not the only
>>> issue.
>>
>> Guys.. is there any reason why this needs to be rushed in over the
>> Christmas
>> break?  Getting it in the tree, fine.  But making USB2 the default so
>> quickly does not appear to be proper engineering procedure.
>>
>> The days that CURRENT was broken for long periods is not something
>> the
>> project wants to get back to.  The discussions sofar do not make me
>> believe
>> this will be a smooth transition, it seems it will need testing and
>> fixing for
>> a reasonable (considerable?) period.
>
> Agreed.  For desktop users, sysutils/hal is currently broken with
> usb2.
> It's on my todo list to fix, but I may not have time to do it in the
> next two weeks.  I know this may seem minor considering other issues,
> but people used to automounting USB media in their desktop won't
> think so.
>
> Joe

Given the amount of problems that there are reported on various
sources (usb->serial converters not working etc), I think we should
provide a base where at least 95% of the things that we ship are
working by default. I have seen advises that we should disable some
kernel builds and add stuff via modules. I do not think that is the
way to go for something which people normally 'take for granted'.

I would like to see the code mature in the current form, gets it's
developer attention and updates (and yeah there might be painful
updates, even for hps, live with them in order to get this thing going
as strong as possible).

In the past (imo) we had several project sites on www.freebsd.org that
listed our projects, and the milestones to take and open items. Is it
an idea to send doc_at_ (or me whatever) a list of open items that need
attention, that we document on the site, and only change default
behaviour if enough bullets had been fired (read: if enough items had
been fixed). That way there is a hardcopy of what needs attention,
it's clear for anyone which items that need attention, and if everyone
steps up, there is no one that can complain that his arguments aren't
listed there and no one that can say that he/she didn't know about the
arguments.

Thnx,
Remko
--
/"\   Best regards,                        | remko_at_FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                      | remko_at_EFnet