Re: Shooting sysinstall/SADE geometry warning in the head

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:39:54 -0800
On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 09:03:40AM -0200, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 5:27 AM, David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > It seems Sysinstall and SADE are ingorant of today's disk geometries.
> > Is there good reason to not make this change?  I've been getting the
> > gratitious
> >
> > +----------------------------- Message -----------------------------+
> > |WARNING:  A geometry of 290721/16/63 for ad8 is incorrect.  Using  |
> [...]
> >
> > warning from just about every usage of sysinstall/SADE over the past
> > few years.
>
> I suggested the attached patch some time ago. It keeps the message but
> makes it less scaring. Please see
>      http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-May/042697.html

The problem is this patch keeps the message and extra steps to get into
the Fdisk editor.  No other OS I've tried would warn/note/complain about
these disks in this machine.  So why keep the message for FreeBSD?  It
just makes FreeBSD look like its finicky about disks (and maybe suggest
less compatible than other OS's?).

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)
A: Why is top-posting (putting a reply at the top of the message) frowned upon?