Re: HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks. [usb2 configuration]

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:17:30 -0800
Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:59:24 -0800
> Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>

>> Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> The U3G driver has been ported to USB2. See "usb2_serial_3g".
>>>

>> I think this sort of confusion is indicative of problems with the way
>> usb2 is configured.  I recently switched a machine to usb2 and I
>> naively expected that doing this would just involve changing all
>> items like
>>
>> device   ums

>> device   ums2
>>
>> when this didn't work I looked for manual pages but found none.  So
>> then I looked in sys/conf/files and found that every driver has a new
>> name; e.g. to get ums I now have to specify:
>>
>> device   usb2_input_ms
>>
>> but more than that I also have to include
>>
>> device   usb2_input
>> device   usb2_core
>>
>> I suggest this is not a good idea.  It is possible through module
>> dependencies and config rules in files to handle all this
>> automatically.   Perhaps I've missed something here but I think that
>> after the switchover users should not need to alter their config
>> files unless they are using new features.  This is all the more
>> important in that all these names changes will require all
>> documentation to be altered to match.
>>

> Something that confused me for a while was when I forgot to add
> usb2_controller on one machine but did have
> usb2_controller_[uhci,ehci,ohci].  The kernel built and ran, but USB
> just didn't work until I kldload'd the controller modules.  Is there a
> dependency mechanism to make the build fail when a mistake like this is
> made?

This is another example of what I described should happen automatically
for you.  It's easy to fix the config rules so it is unnecessary to
specify dependent/internal modules in the kernel config file.

> The new devices should probably be added to NOTES too - there's a PR
> open with a patch
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/128590) but it needs
> usb2s_core corrected to usb2_core before it can be committed.

As I said, after the switchover users should NOT have to change their
config files unless there is new functionality (e.g. new drivers).  This
means there should be no changes to NOTES (unless it's to document how
to bring in the usb1 code) and existing manual pages and the like should
require updates only for stuff like sysctl changes (which again I'd like
to see minimized to reduce confusion).

    Sam