Re: HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks. [usb2 configuration]

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 03:18:43 -0800
[ Note, replies directed to list. ]

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:20:49PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:
>> As I said, after the switchover users should NOT have to change their
>> config files unless there is new functionality (e.g. new drivers).  This
>> means there should be no changes to NOTES (unless it's to document how to
>> bring in the usb1 code) and existing manual pages and the like should
>> require updates only for stuff like sysctl changes (which again I'd like
>> to see minimized to reduce confusion).
>
> The attached does what I'm suggesting.  To use a usb2 config you just
> append "2" to your existing usb devices.  When it comes time to switch
> the defaults you rename usb to usb1 and usb2 to usb and you're done.

Hear, Hear.

Sam's vision is the path I think we need to take to keep our -CURRENT
user's sanity thru the transition.  And to not loose others that jump
from 7.x to 8.0.

I really do hope we do not release 8.0-R with everything called "usb2"
and living under a "usb2" directory.   I haven't seen this clearly
stated as POR, so it would be nice to hear that this really is the
direction we will take.  Otherwise, start warming up the keyboards
to write all the new FAQ entries we'll need.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)