Re: boot0sio working for anyone?

From: Bruce M. Simpson <bms_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:32:50 +0000
Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> So, is boot0sio supposed to just work with a cheap USB->RS232 dongle at
> the other end? I don't know how this paragraph from boot0cfg(8) is
> affecting me.

boot0sio is wholly dependent upon BIOS support for addressing the
on-board COM1 port. It is not intended (read: very unlikely) to work
with USB dongles.

If your BIOS does not support the call that it uses, then the symptoms
will be similar to what you've seen. Unfortunately there is just not
enough space in the MBR to implement any workarounds for this.

cheers
BMS