Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RC2 Available

From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd_at_codelabs.ru>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:57:11 +0300
Ian,

Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:33:39AM +0200, Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> Thanks.  That answers about half the question.  Is there any sense
> in making the swap partition bigger than that?  When I started using
> FreeBSD the rule of thumb was 2.1*physical RAM.  I'm not sure that
> holds true any more.

Judging by the
  http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2007-February/069051.html
  http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2007-February/069059.html
  http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2007-February/069077.html
people are varying in their opinions ;))  So your mileage may vary.
Seems like the old 2:1 rule is not very cost-effective for common
setups, but, again, it depends on the situation.

To your point about minidumps going out-of-bounds (I know nothing
about this problem: was not bitten by it):
a) if you don't need kernel dumps, disable them completely with
   'dumpdev=NO' in /etc/rc.conf;
b) if you do need kernel dumps _and_ the problem with minidumps
   persists, you can either fix the issue or provide enough swap
   and use full or mini dumps.

I have not heard about any problems with large swap sizes, so can not
comment on that.

My couple of cents.
--
Eygene